Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Tuesday, September 22

 

We were so excited to notice a change in the chrysalis this morning!  We noticed that the chrysalis is darker than yesterday.  We can even kind of see the butterfly wings through the chrysalis! 




During morning meeting we read this fun book! 


We moved our chrysalis to a place we can see them often.  I shared with the friends that I was concerned that someone wouldn't know that they were there.  

"We should make a sign!" 

So we did!  The friends helped me sound out the words and write some of the letters.  



We then went out to the playground. . . 




and the hill! 






When we got back inside we noticed that the chrysalis was almost clear!  We predicted that the butterflies would emerge soon! 

In our study we have discussed how butterflies taste with their feet.  One of the questions that the friends' asked is how do butterflies taste with their feet?  The friends that wanted to tried to taste with our feet to see if we could taste with our feet too. 





We documented our responses. 










One of the friends said, "I couldn't taste it because it wasn't in my mouth!" 

This lead to a great discourse about taste buds.  We have taste buds in our mouths! 

Another friend commented, "I think we just have taste buds on our tongue, right?"  

This continued our rich discussion about taste buds. 

As I was dumping the "nectar" the friends on their own started acting like butterflies resting with their wings up.  

"Friends!  Let's be like a butterfly resting!" 


"Now let's do it like a moth!" 

The friends are taking ownership of their learning.  They are excited to learn and work together!  We want to foster this excitement and positive classroom community. 


In the outdoor classroom some friends chose to draw and write.  




"I am a caterpillar in my chrysalis!" 


"Back to the chrysalis!  You're not done yet." 


"Okay we have one caterpillar in the chrysalis.  I am writing a note about that." 


"I am making pancakes!" 


One of the middle school teachers brought down some butterfly wings for us to use.  I asked the friends how could we be sure that everyone gets a turn? The friends offered a few suggestions: 

"Let's set a timer!" 

"Maybe we need a list!" 

We did both.  :) 

Notice how the friends apply their knowledge of butterflies and moths as they play.  They are incorporating the vocabulary we have learned and they are acting out various scenarios that demonstrate they have learned so much throughout our study! 








"I am drinking nectar." 


"I am using my proboscis to drink the nectar." 







"Can I use my finger as the proboscis?" 











After we practiced writing our names, we went to check on the caterpillars outside the kindergarten classroom.











Before rest we noticed that three of our caterpillars came out of their chrysalis! 


After rest we were excited to observe them. The friends asked so many questions as they observed!  These questions will continue to guide our investigation moving forward.  

"What is that red stuff?" 

"I can see his curly proboscis!" 

"Why are the other two not coming out?" 







We then made a countdown to when we need to release our butterflies.  We used our booklet to find out how many days we need to wait.  





No comments:

Post a Comment