Friday, January 22, 2021

Happy Friday!

This morning during our meeting the topic of creeks and ponds came up. 

"I have a pond.  The geese were walking on the ice!"

"I have a pond too!" 

I asked the friends how they knew it was a pond and not a creek.  

"It's like a pond has more water and a creek has less." 

"The creek water moves." 


We then read this book about ponds.  As we read, we wondered if ponds and creeks have some of the same things? 

"Does the creek have frogs?" 

"Does the creek has tadpoles?" 


We then ran outside for two minutes!  


Back in the classroom the friends went to work building a bridge on our creek.  





"You hold it up.  I will tape it." 


The friends began to notice that their ideas to make the bridge were not working.  Some of the friends began writing plans for the bridge to solve the problems. 




They then tested their thoughts and ideas using teamwork.  



When those ideas didn't work, the friends problem solved,  wrote their solutions, and . . .   



tried again! 



We love to write! As the friends were writing, the topic of making a map to the creek came up. 







Some of the friends wrote maps to show how to get to the creek while other friends drew maps of where the creek goes. 

"See?  It stops there is Florida." 



I took a book about maps out of my resources to support our friends' curiosity.  


I also took out some maps I have.  These sparked many conversations and questions. 

"Where is the creek on this map?" 

"I think it's here!  It's a blue line that has a C for creek!" 


"Where is our school on the map?  If we find our school we can find the creek." 


"This must be how the creek flows.  It goes this way and then I think it goes to the beach!" 



The friends then went back to work on the bridge.  They tried a new strategy! 


Working together in the kitchen 

"We are cooking the fish from the creek." 

"You wash the dishes, I will set the table." 


"Be careful!  This is hot." 


No comments:

Post a Comment