Friday, February 7, 2020

We started our late start day with a challenge!  We noticed that our magnetic letters were not in the correct homes!  The friends helped me put the letters back to their correct "home."  This increases letter recognition, letter matching, and discussing letter features.  Discussing letter features helps to differentiate one letter from the other. 



We continued this into small groups! 



During small group time we had an opportunity to re-teach some important social skills to empower the friends to handle their conflicts in a positive way.  We gathered together to role play these skills.

"How many minutes until my turn?" 

"You can have a turn in two minutes." 

"Can I have a turn when you are done?" 

"Yep! I will be done in two minutes." 

I encourage you to continue this discussion at home.  Ask your child, "What can you do if someone has something you want?  Can you grab it from them?" (Response we practice at school: "No! We ask how many minutes until my turn.")

 "What do you say if someone takes something from you? Can you scream at them?"   (Response we practice at school: "No!  We say in a kind voice, 'Excuse me, I had that.  You can have a turn in two minutes when I am done.'")

"What do you do if you can't solve a problem with a friend?" (Response we practice at school: "Ask a teacher to help you!" 


During free choice time the friends were motivated to make signs to remind us what we practiced during small group time. 



We love to read!  I encourage you to read the predictable text books that your child has collected this year.  In fact, your child can read it to you.  :) 


The friends were hard at work on their sleds! 


"I made a sign for this picture.  It says. 'We are playing in the snow.'" 








No comments:

Post a Comment