Monday, March 2, 2020

This morning during morning meeting the friends were excited to discuss the weather.  We discussed how it was getting warmer.  The friends noticed that there is no ice outside.  

"That's because it is warm out there." 

"Well, I was cold when I walked in to school." 

"What is the temperature outside?" 

The discussion continued for a while.  After a while one of the friends said, "It warm, but not like in Florida." 

"Hey! We should learn about Florida! I went to Florida once and stayed in a hotel." 

"I have been to a hotel before! I went swimming there!" 

The discussion then turned to hotels. 

"There were stairs at my hotel." 

"My hotel had an elevator."

"Mine too!" 

One of the friends suggested, "We should learn about hotels!" 

We voted about whether or not we should learn about hotels, and the majority of the friends want to learn about hotels.  I will work on the Anticipatory Planning web to decide if this will be an investigation or a full Project.  

After gym and snack, we had small group time. 

We worked to identify letters and make words. 




We also practiced sorting with Mrs. Dieckamp.  






With me, the friends drew a picture of a hotel and dictated an experience that they have had at a hotel.  The goal of this is to engage the friends' experience and provide an opportunity for the friends to express curiosity and wonder based in their experiences. 

"I saw a lamp in my hotel room, but I can't remember the bottom of it.  Do all hotel rooms have lamps?" 

"I used the elevator in the hotel.  Elevators don't go sideways.  Wait - do elevators go sideways?" 

"I swam in the pool.  See?  I'm drawing it here.  Do all hotels have pools?" 





During free choice time I laid out some magazines for the friends to explore.  (Thank you Moss family!)  

"I saw flowers in the hotel, so I am going to cut out this flower." 


The friends then glued their pictures to a large sheet of paper.  We might refer back to this as we continue to explore hotels. 


"I am building a hotel in the Legos." 


"Let's build the elevator!" 


Working on hotel rooms 



During Jesus time we acted out the story of Jesus blessing the children.  Jesus loves us so much that He died on the cross and rose again to save us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment